Friday, April 29, 2005

Philip Glass - Official Web Site

Music as Ideas



If you go to movies, you have heard the music of Phillip Glass. Along with Thomas Newman and Lisa Gerrard, he is one of the most sought after composers in the industry. One wonders why Steve Reich has not been afforded such honors.

Perhaps his most recognizable work is Powaqaatsi, which served as the theme music for "The Truman Show"...but his work also graces the other -qaatsi films as well.

When I first heard his music, I frankly though he had stolen from me, as I was working out minimalist themes, mainly as a meditation, in the late 70s and early 80s.

The first time I met Philip was when he was giving a sneak preview of his work-in-progress, "Satyagraha" -- a piece done in Sanskrit, and based on the life and work of Mohandas K. Gandhi -- still one of his loveliest works.

The second time I met him was when he was performing Powaqaatsi at George Mason U...with the film playing behind the ensemble. After the concert, a dear friend and I chatted with him and Linda, his manager, about various things, including the possibility of an internship...which a year later came to pass, and which made a tremendous impact, or impaction, on the young artist/friend's life...affording her the ability to move from VCU through Glass to Berkeley, and now on to exhibitions around the world, and a life doing and teaching theatre and performance art in Bangkok.

Glad to be of service. Not even a thank-you note either! :)
As Chopra once said though...think "How can I help?", not "What's in it for me"?

As an amateur composer, meeting the venerable Mr. Glass, and other living composers, was always a joy and an education. We need to lure them South. Too few pass this way.

Let me know when they get here.